Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Greene County Historical Society

Dublin Core


Greene County Historical Society


Greene is one of the smallest counties in Virginia in both area and population, and the mountainous region of the County forms part of the Shenandoah National Park. The Greene County Historical Society, which was established in 1978, collects, preserves and displays for the public items that illustrate the history of the County.

The Society’s Museum is housed in the Jail that was built next to the Courthouse in Stanardsville, when Greene County split off from Orange County in 1838. The Museum, which is staffed by volunteers, is open on Fridays and Saturdays from 10 till 3. In addition to changing displays of artifacts, the Society’s genealogical research facilities are housed in the Museum, including a 110,000-name database of descendants of Greene County. Items pertaining to the history of the County, such as marriage and census records, and cemetery records, may be purchased at the Museum.

All images are the property of the Greene County Historical Society. See individual items for use restrictions and copyright. Contact the Society at 38 Court Street, PO Box 185, Stanardsville VA 22973, or by phone at 434-985-1409, or through


Greene County Historical Society (Greene County Historical Society)

Collection Items

Page from McGuffey’s Eclectic Readers
McGuffey’s Eclectic Readers were written by William Holmes McGuffey and his brother Alexander in the 1830s and 1840s, and were used for decades throughout the US for primary-level students. The Readers emphasized spelling, vocabulary, and formal…

Page from 'The New Fun With Dick and Jane'
Dick and Jane were the main characters in a series of basic readers written by William S. Gray and Zerna Sharp and published by Scott Foresman, that were used to teach children to read from the 1930s through to the 1970s in the US. This page is from…

James Powell Mathematics Textbook
In rural parts of Central Virginia in the early 1800s children were home-schooled when there were few alternatives. These pages are from a home made mathematics textbook; the leather cover was home tanned, and the writing was done with a quill pen,…

The Parrott School
This photograph, taken by Mrs. Virgie Bell, on February 7th 1910, is of the Parrott School in Greene County, its faculty and its students. The school was located on the north side of Amicus Road, opposite what is now the western entrance of the…

Forest Hill Academy
Captain Francis Marion McMullen and his wife Virginia Ann ran a school in Stanardsville after the Civil War. In August 1868 he bought the 10 acre Stanardsville property on which Forest Hill Academy stands, and built this school house. It is not known…

Red Cross Quilt
This quilt was made to raise funds for the Red Cross during World War I. An article in the December 1917 issue of ‘Modern Priscilla’ provided a complete pattern and instructions for making such a quilt, down to yardage requirements and costs,…

Basket Quilt
This circa 1875 quilt measures 92 inches by 82 inches, and is made of red and green cottons on a white background. It is hand pieced, hand appliquéd and hand quilted, with 5 rows of 4 red and green baskets set straight on a white background, and a…

Shop sign
This metal sign hung outside Joseph Ham's shop on Main Street in Stanardsville in the mid-19th century. He was not only a tailor but sold other goods, from at least 1856; he became Stanardsville's postmaster in September 1865, a post he held for the…

Joseph Ham’s Daybook
Joseph Ham’s Daybook begins in January 1856 and ends in September 1871. It lists all the transactions occurring at his Tailor’s Shop in Stanardsville. The word ‘Paid’ in the left hand margin indicates the transaction was settled. Being a…

Courthouse Square, Stanardsville
William Henry Brill and Mildred Anne Long Brill in front of the Greene County Courthouse and Jail. Date is uncertain but believed to be late 1800s.
View all 10 items