Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:

Advanced Search (Items only)

Louisa County Historical Society

Dublin Core


Louisa County Historical Society


The archival collection of the Louisa County Historical Society is housed at the Sargeant Museum, 214 Fredericksburg Ave, Louisa, Virginia. All items in this collection are the property of the Louisa County Historical Society. See Rights and Reproduction Policy below.

The collection has been maintained by the Soceity since 1966 and contains over 12,000 items. The achives has been indexed and appointments can be made for research by contacting the museum director at

Requests for assitance in your research can be arranged with the museum staff at a suggested donation of $20 per hour.


All items in our archives have been donated to The Louisa County Historical Society with express permission to use them only for not-for-profit purposes of education and individual research. We make them available online to further those ends. Anyone wishing to use images online or in printed publications must obtain express written permission to do so from the Louisa County Historical Society and the legal copyright holder. Users assume full responsibility for disputes arising from copyright violations or invasions of privacy.


Louisa County Historical Society (LCHS)

Collection Items

1859 Store  Account
Page from the account records of William Jackson Walton, later Superintendent of Louisa County Schools 1884-1886. Last date on account is Jul 1, 1859. W.J. Walton lived in the Jackson District off of what is now Paynes Mill Road.

Items on…

Immaculate Conception Catholic Church

FOUNDED: Church built in 1876; It is one of the 4 continuously operating Catholic churches in the Diocese of Richmond.

LOCATION: Rt. 618, Fredericks Hall Rd.,…

Octagon Church
Among the various sects seeking to follow more pure apostolic ways in Louisa County were the Christadelphians. Also know as Thomasites, this group originally built the curiously shaped Octagon Church in lower Louisa County in 1858. The structure was…

Rev and Mrs. A. Campbell Tucker
Rev. Tucker served the mission churches of the Episcopal Diocese of Vigininia, one of which ws St. James Episcopal Church in the Town of Louisa.

St. James Episcopal
FOUNDED: current church built in 1881

LOCATION: Ellisville Road, town of Louisa

INFORMATION: The church was started after the Civil War and shared space with the Methodist Church in Louisa for many years. By 1881, the congregation raised…

Providence Presbyterian Church 1747
FOUNDED: Early 1740’s during the Great Awakening under the ministry of The Reverends Samuel Davies and John Todd.

LOCATION: Three Chopt Road, Gum Springs

INFORMATION: Oldest Presbyterian Church in continuous use in Virginia. Only remaining…

Thomas Johnson's Seminary Class
Thomas Johnson was born in Louisa County and attended Seminary in Lynchburg after the Civil War. He returned to Louisa and pastored several African-American churches throughout the remainded of the 1800s.

Confederate Bond
Bond issued to W.H. Harris of Louisa County for $500 from the Confederate States of America. Payable two years after ratification of a peace treaty with the United States with 6% interest.

Date of issue July 20, 1864.

Jeff Porter and Ox
Photograph taken sometime in the early 20th C. near Trevilian Station, Louisa County. Jeff Porter appears in other photos at the Trevilian Station Depot.

Confederate Bond
$1,000 Bond issued to L.R. Swift by the Confederate States of America, payable ten years from date of issue with 8% interest. (See pdf file for detailed view.)

In 1836, Sarah Ann Quarles Chandler reluctantly left Louisa County for Cooper County, Misssouri. To read her full journal in pdf format, click on the associated file tab on the right. Her journal begins:

September 16th 1836:
This day set off…

Buchenwald Concentration Camp
Constructed in 1937, Buchenwald Concentration Camp was one of the largest concentration camps in Germany. The prisoner population was only male until about 1943. Most of the prisoners were political prisoners, Jehovah's Witnesses, German military…

Permission for Confederate soldier
Permission for Confederate soldier Henry D. Gardener to visit Louisa County

Exemption Certificate
C.L. Goodwin is hereby exempt from military duty by reason of being owner of over twenty negroes on his plantation. When he ceases to be such this exemption is hereby declared void.

War of 1812 Letter
Letter written by Richard L. Sims to Captain Duke Cosby involving the Virginia Militia.

Virginia State Agricultural Society certificate
Certificate of membership of C.L. Goodwin in the Virginia State Agricultural Society

Civil War Exemption Certificate
Exemption papers for Confederate military duty for C. L. Goodwin on the basis of his lumber contract with the Virginia Central Railroad

George Whitfield Kemper
Picture of George Whitfield Kemper as a member of the Brown Light Infantry

Certificate of exemption as an agriculturalist for William Walton

Appointment of Duke Cosby as Lt. in the Virginia militia 1806
Duke Cosby commissioned as Lt. in the 40th regiment, 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division of the Virginia Militia by Governor Wm. Cabell. 8 Nov. 1806 Seal still attached
View all 415 items